VILLAGE WALK No3 (30th September 2012)
For the 3rd year in succession we enjoyed a guided tour round important sites in
the village. The event was led by David Cooper, and different speakers covered individual
sections of the tour.
Starting at the Village Hall we included such places as Walcot House, the site of
persistent rumours of a past visit by Oliver Cromwell en route to the Battle of
We saw briefly the Old Bakery, now in a sad state of partial demolition, the process
apparently (temporarily) halted because the structure has now been recognised as
much older than previously thought.
Well Cottage was next, believed to be the oldest house in East Haddon, with the frames
of the structure produced from oak trees split in two to give a matching pair.
We then moved on to the cemetery, where research reveals a number of interesting
burials. Three WW1 graves are there, and some names long associated with East Haddon
are seen among the headstones. Included there is the grave of Annie Pritchard, murdered
in 1892 - you can read her story in detail by clicking here.