East Haddon Church tower houses a fine ring of 6 bells.
These are of historical importance in the world of campanology; records show that
on 31st December 1756, the first ever recorded peal of 5040 changes on 5 bells was
rung at East Haddon by
“a Society of Old Ringers, each man aged upwards of 50 years of Age rang 5040 changes,
which takes up several Peals of five bells; and completed in three Hours and ten
The press cutting from the time does not reveal their names.
The bells and their origins are:
Treble Taylors of Loughborough, 1928.
2nd Hugh Watts, Leicester, 1621
3rd Hugh Watts, Leicester, 1621
4th Hugh Watts, Leicester, 1621
5th Abhraham Rudhall, 1731
Tenor Hugh Watts, Leicester, 1621
The treble weighs 5 cwt., the tenor weighs 15cwt (745kg).
Each bell carries an inscription, cast into the metal when the bell was made. To
see these inscriptions in full, click here.
In 2010 the bells were refurbished with new headstocks, clappers, and bearings, and
the wheels were refurbished/replaced. The bells were also re-tuned, and the frame
(by A. Bowell of Ipswich, 1905, was cleaned and protected against corrosion. The
work was carried out with Messr Taylors of Loughborough, and the site work was done
by one of their bellhangers plus 9 volunteers from East Haddon. See pictures
East Haddon ringers practise on Wednesday evenings from 6 to 7pm. New members are
always very welcome, and for those who want to learn the art of bellringing there
is tuition available within the practise times.