Transcript of pages 160-166 from “The History and Antiquities of the County of Northampton”
Vol 1: Baker, pub 1822
So named in distinction to West Haddon, varies in Domesday from “Eddone” to “Hadone”.
Its etymology is problematical, it may possibly compounded of “Edd” the first Saxon
colonist, and “dune”, a down – that is the hill of Edd – or it may be allusive to
the situation on the “had”, head or summit of a hill, but neither conjecture can
be advanced with confidence. The open fields were inclosed by act of parliament
13 Geo. 3 (1773), and the lordship contains about 2240 acres, of which about 1350
acres belong to William Sawbridge, esq. the lord of the manor; about 380 acres to
Christopher Smyth, of Northampton, esq.; nearly 100 acres to the vicar in right of
his church; about 100 acres to the daughters and coheiresses of the late sir William
Langham, of Cottesbrooke, bart.; and about 100 acres each to Mr John Clarke and Mr
Joseph Claridge. The boundaries are formed by Ravensthorp on the north, from which
it is divided by a brook; Holdenby on the East; Brington on the south; and Long Buckby
and West Haddon, in Guilsborough hundred, on the west. The lordship is hilly and
affords some pleasing and rather extensive prospects. The prevailing soil is a
light fertile loam, but lower parts of the parish are a blue clay. Amongst the
scarce plants found in this parish are, Rubus corylifolius, hazel-leaved bramble,
Epilobium tetragonum, square-stalked Willow-herb, Polypodium Oreopteris, Heath fern.
The gravel-pits adjoining the road to Ravensthorp furnish fibrous gypsum, jasper,
and stone marble, and of extraneous fossils, gryphites, ammonites, belemnites, escalope
shells, muscles, and corallites. There are two brick-kilns in the parish. In Mr
Sawbridge’s garden is one of the strongest chalybeate springs in the neighbourhood.
MANORIAL HISTORY. MORETON FEE. HONOR OF LEICESTER. “Eddone” was one of the manors
retained by the earl of Moreton in his own possession at the Domesday survey. It
contained two hides and a half, of which one hide was in demesne. The arable land
was five carucates; three in demesne with nine servants; and seven villeins with
a priest, and seven bordars had the remaining two carucates. There was a mill worth
10/- yearly; eight acres of meadow and ten acres of underwood. The whole had been
rated in the time of Edward the Confessor at 40s yearly, but was then doubled in
value. To the soke of this manor belonged part of Brampton, a virgate held by William
(Keynes) in Brington and two hides and a virgate held by Ralf in Holdenby. There
was also half a hide in “Hadone”, held under the earl by this Ralph. The arable land
was one carucate, in the occupation of two villeins and four boarders. It has been
rated at 2d yearly, but at the survey was quintupled in value. In the hydarium of
Hen 2, “Haddon” was returned at four hides of the fee of Leicester. Henry earl of
Lancaster, in plea to a quo warranto 3 Edw. 3 (1329), claimed return of all writs,
pleas of withernam, view of frank pledge, wayfs and strays, infangefeof, acquitted
throughout the kingdom from toll, pontage, stallage, pannage, repairing castles or
bridges, and other privileges in East Haddon with its members, as parcels of the
honour of Leicester. It is still within the paramount jurisdiction of the duchy of
Lancaster, who owes suit and services to the court formerly called here, but now
kept at West Haddon.
MANOR. The mesne manor was granted out within a century of the Norman conquest to
the family of Dyve, who were considerable proprietors in this county and Nottinghamshire.
In the inquisition of knights’ fees 12 Joh. (1210) Hugh Dyve was certified to hold
seven fees and a half in Northamptonshire of the honour of Leicester. He died in
the lifetime of his mother, leaving three daughters and coheiresses, Matilda, wife
of Sir Saher Saint Andrew; Alice,wife of Sir Richard Mucegros; and Ascelin, wife
of Sir Simon de Mucegros; who, with their husbands, in 12 Hen.3 (1227-8), had livery
of the lands which had been assigned in dower to their grandmother. The subjoined
pedigree will illustrate the descent of the three reputed manors in Haddon, which
sprung from this tripartite division.
DYVE, ST. ANDREW, MUCEGROS, AND RATINDEN.
From public records and other authorities
Arms. ST. ANDREW. Gules,seven mascules conjoined, 3, 3, 1, Or, in chief a lanel
of five points Azure
HUGH DYVE, gave portions of tithes in Gotham, co. Notts, to Leicester abbey, confirmed
by Hen 2. = HELEWISE
WILLIAM DYVE, gave advowson of East Haddon to Sulby priory; and of = MATILDA, d.
of ....WATERVILLE, by Ascelin, sist. and coh. Of Will Peveril,
Guilsborough to the hosp. of St. John of Jerusalem, dead 1 Ric. 1 (1189-90).
of Brunne, co. Camb. aet. 35, 1 Ric 1 (1189-90), ob. 12 Hen. 3 (1277-78)
HUGH DYVE, gave Nortoft manor to the hospital of St. John of Jerusalem,
aet = AGNES RALPH DYVE, of co. MATILDA ; wife of William
10, 1 Ric. 1 (1189-90), ob. 12 Joh. (1210-11) Linc. Fitz-Otho.
1.MATILDA, d. and coh. = Sir SAHER de ST. AN- 2. ALICIA, dau. and coh. = Sir
RICHARD MUCE- 3. ASCELIN, d. and coh. = Sir SIMON MUCEGROS
of Hugh and granddau DREW, of East Had- of Hugh, and granddau..
GROS, of East Had- of Hugh and granddau. of East Haddon. &c
and coh. of Matilda Dyve, don, &c. jure ux. liv- and coh. of
Matilda Dyve, don, &c. jure ux. and coh. of Matilda Dyve jure
ux. dead 27 Hen.
12 Hen 3 (1227-8). ing 12 Hen. 3. 12 Hen. 3
(1227-8) living 12 Hen. 3 12 Hen. 3 (1227-8) 3 (1227-8)
Sir ROBERT = ALBREDA, WILLIAM ST. ANDREW, RALPH ST. ANDREW, Sir ROBERT
Sir JOHN MUCE- ALICE, sist and coh. AGATHA = WALTER
ST. AN- dau. of ROBERT ST. ANDREW of East H
scion ob. MUCEGROS, GROS, of East Esc 50 Hen. 3. ob. sist.
DREW, of ..............; LAURENCE ST. ANDREW 7 Edw. 1 (1278-9),
joined his Haddon, ob. s.p. 33 Edw. 1 (1301-5), coh.
50 DEN; 2 h.
Gotham, 2 h........ SAHER ST. ANDREW, Esc 8 Edw.
1. n. 27 father in 50 Hen. 3 Esc 33 Edw. 1
n. Hen. 3 Hugh
co. Notts, Walth. rector of Gotham, JAMES
ST. ANDREW, alienating (1265-6), Esc. 23; wife of Ralph Heugshe,
&c. co. Notts. bro. and h. aet.30, East Had- 50
Hen. 3. n.33. Dyve, dead s. p. 33 9 Edw. 1
JOHN ST. ANDREW Esc. 8 Edw. 1 don. Edw.
1 w.AGNES, d.of Ric. = Sir ROGER DE ST. AN = 2 w AGNES, d. of Sir = 3
w. MATILDA, d. of.....wid. MATILDA, JOHN RATINDEN, of East Haddon,
de Grey, of Sandiacre, DREW, of East Had- Gervase Clifton,
of 8 Edw. 3 (1334); b. John 8 Edw. 1 nephew and b. of Alicia,
co. Derb. 8 Edw. 1 don, &c. dead 8 Edw. Clifton, co. Notts.4
Pontrell, of Wistrow, co. Notts. (1279-80) Edw. 1, levied fine of one-third
(1279-80). 3 (1334) Edw. 2 (1310-11). 8 Edw. 2
(1314-15). East Haddon 7 Edw. 3 (1333).
RICHARD ST. ANDREW, of East = ALICIA, d. of Robert Sir JOHN ST. ANDREW,
of East Haddon, bro. and = JULIANA, sist. and h. of William, s. of sir
Haddon, ob. 3 Edw. 3 (1329), de Stoke, of Stoke b. aet. 16 Esc. 3 Edw. 3,
ob. 24 Oct 34 Edw. 3 Roger Zouch, of Lubbesthorpe, co. Leic.
Esc 3 Edw. 3. n. 18. near Coventry. (1360), Esc. 34 Edw. 3. n. 44. living
43 Edw. 3 (1369).
1.JOHN ST. ANDREW, of East 2. EDMUND ST. ANDREW, of = MARGARET, 3. ROBERT
ST.N AN- = CATHERINE, d. 4. RALPH ST. ALICE,
Haddon, aet 22, Esc. 34 Edw. East Haddon, bro. and h. aet. living 4 DREW,
of East Had- of........Sutton; ST. ANDREW, ELIZABETH,
3, ob. 43 Edw. 3 (1369), Esc. 16, Esc. 43 Edw. 3, living 51 Ric.
2 don, living 3 Hen. 2 h. Nicholas 29 Edw. 3 MATILDA.
43 Edw. 3 p. 2 n. 25 Edw. 3 (1377), o.s.p. (1381) 4
(1401-2). Belers. (1355).
THOMAS ST. ANDREW, of East Haddon, 9 Hen. = ELIZABETH, dau. of Peter Pole, of Radbourn, 2.
JOHN ST. ANDREW, 3 Hen. 4, ELIZABETH.
5 (1421) co. Derb. (1401-2).
PETER ST. ANDREW, of East Haddon, esq. ob. 6 May 37 Hen. 6 (1459), Esc. 37 = ELIZABETH
MALORY = 2 h. JOHN THOMAS ST. ANDREW, 34
Hen. 6 n. 16. ROSELL. Hen. 6 (1455-6).
JOHN ST. ANDREW, of East Haddon, esq. aet. 8 Esc. 37 Hen. 6, ob. 1510, bur. at Gotham,
co. Notts = ALICE, ob. 14 Apr, 1509, bur. at Gotham.
WILLIAM ST. ANDREW, of East Haddon, esq. = MARGARET, d. of ..... THOMA ST. ANDREW, Rev.
HUGH ST.ANDREW, rector of Gotham, co.
Ob. 3 Dec, 1565, bur. at Gotham Aston, ob. 1535. EDMUND ST. ANDREW. Notts,
ob. 20 Apr 1528, bur. there.
JOHN ST. ANDREW, of East Had- = CATHERINE, d. of John GEORGE ST.AN- ELIZABETH;w.
of ........Hargrave. MARGARET, w. ELLES,
don, esq. ob. 31 Jan.1570-1, Esc. Welles, of Hortcross DREW,
living ALICE; w. of ...........Fox of ...........Whode, MARY,
13 Eliz. p. 2 n. 25. co. Staff. Esq. 1540. ANNE; w. of .......
Organ. CATHERINE. DOROTHY.
GEORGE ST.ANDREW, of East Haddon, esq. aet 44 Esc. 13 Eliz. ob. 27 Aug. 1594, Esc.
27 Eliz. p. 2 = BARBARA, d. of George Nevill, of Grove, co. Notts.. esq.
n. 20, bur. at Gotham.
1 w. MARY, d. of Thomas, and eldest = WILLIAM ST. ANDREW, of = 2 w. MARY, d.
of = 3 w. ELIZABETH, d. of GERVASE ST. ANDREW, WINIFRED,
sist. and coh. of William Skeffing- East Haddon, esq. aet 6, Edmund
Pilking- ....Wedgwood, of JOHN ST. ANDREW, JANE,
ton, of Skeffington, co. Leic. ob. 15 Esc. 27 Eliz. ob. 25 Nov. ton,
esq. Haracles, co. Staff.; FRANCIS ST. ANDREW. BARBARA.
JOHN ST. ANDREW, of East = ELIZABETH, d. of John = 2 h. Sir JOHN BALE, JANE.
BARBARA, ob. s. p.5 Apr. 1624, aet. 18, bur. at Lockington,
Haddon, esq. ob. 14 Jan. Bainbridge, of Lockington, of Carlton, co.
Leic. co. Leic..; 1st w. of William Bainbridge, of Lockington, co.
1625-6. co. Leic. esq. born 1602 mar. 1631. Leic.
esq. ob. 22 Nov. 1669, aet. 65.
MARIA, eldest d. = GERVASE PIGOT, = 2 w. ELIZABETH, 1 h. FRANCIS = ELIZABETH,
2nd = 2 h. WILLIAM SKEFFING- BARBARA, = Sir OLIVER ST.
and coh. ob. 2 of Thrumpton, d. of Simon Ed- THORHAHUGH,
dau. and coh. ob. TON, of Skeffington, co. 3d d. and JOHN,
Feb 1643-4, aet. co. Notts, esq. ob. monds, of Lon- of Fenton,
co. 11 Jan. 1676-7, Leic. and Tunbridge, co. coh. had
22, buried at 9 Aug. 1669, aet. don, esq. ob. 28 Notts.
esq. bur. at Skeffing- Kent, esq. ob. s. p. Apr. East
Had- ob. 2 Jan. 1661-2,
Thrumpton. 53, bur. there. Aug. 1649. ton.
1692 aet.82. don. aet.
MARY, d. and h. ob. 31 Aug. 1688; 1st wife of Robert Burdet, of Foremark, co. Derb.
3d bart. by whom she had vide WOODFORD.
Elizabeth, d. and h.; wife of Charles Jenens, of Gopsal, co. Leic. esq.
ST ANDREW MANOR. This estate seems to have been settled on a junior branch of the
family, for in 7 Edw.1 (1278-9), Ralph St. Andrew, probably a younger son of Sir
Sayer by a subsequent marriage, died seised of it, held, not in capite, but of Roger,
heir of Maud St. Andrew, a minor in ward to the king, and James St. Andrew was brother
and heir, aged 30 years. A writ was directed to the sheriff the same year to deliver
the manor of Haddon to the executors of the will of the said Ralph, unless he had
taken possession under a claim in his private capacity, and not by virtue of his
office on demise of the lord, and the following year a mandate was issued to Richard
de Holebroo, the king’s seneschal, to enter in the king’s name on all the lands which
the late Ralph St. Andrew held in capite. This manor soon after reverted to the
elder line of St. Andrew, probably by the death of the above James St. Andrew s.p.
and in the certificate of knights fees 24 Edw. 1 (1295-6), Roger St. Andrew, Thomas
Bray, and Ralph Dyve, were returned to hold East Haddon of the honour of Leicester.
The annexed pedigree carries down this manor to the coheiresses of St. Andrew;
the youngest of whom brought it in marriage to
Sir Oliver St. John, of WOODFORD, near Thrapston, in whose descendants it continued
until 1807, when, after an uninterrupted descent of six centuries, it was alienated
by St. Andrew 13th lord St. John, to
William Sawbridge ,esq. who was previously in possession of Bray and Ragon’s manors
by inheritance from his father.
SAWBRIDGE OF EAST HADDON
From a pedigree entered in the College of Arms, with additions (Hillmorton register,
North Kilworth register and Daventry register)
ARMS; Or, two bars Azure, each charged with a barrulet jauncette Argent, on a chief
indented of the second an Ermine spot Gold.
CREST, On a wreath of the colours a demi lion Azure, holding in his paws a saw
erect, and on the shoulder an ermine spot Gold.
.....SAWBRIDGE, of Hill Morton, co. Warw. = ELIZABETH, bur. 2 June 1638
GEORGE SAWBRIDGE,of Hill Morton, co. Warw. bur. 23 Aug 1637. = AGNES, living 1636.
1.WILLIAM = ALICE, 2. JOHN SAW- = ANNE, d. 3. THOMAS 4.
ISAAC SAW = KATHERINE, 5. GEORGE = HANNAH 1. ANNE, bap.
SAWBRIDGE, d. of BRIDGE, of of Rich-
SAW- BRIDGE, of d. of ........... SAW-
dau. of 9 Jan 1619,
of Hill ..... North Kil- ard
Tur- BRIDGE, Old Fish-street, Bathrom, BRIDGE,
...... dead 1636.
Morton, co. living worth, co. vile,
of bap. 5 London, bap. bur. at St. of
London Brew- 2. MARY, bap.
Warw. bap. 1652 Leic. gent. Shearsby,
Dec. 1624 7 Mar. 1627, Mary Magd. esq.
dead ster, dead 14 Nov.
3 Mar. 1615 bap. 15 Feb. co. Leic. living bur.
at St. Lond. 15 1684 1684 1630,
bur. 14 Mar. 1617, bur. 8 gent. 1636 Mary
Magd. Mar. 1699. 1636
1673 Dec. 1673 London 18 3. AGNES
Sept. 1679 living 1636
1.THOMAS SAWBRIDGE 1. ANNE 1. WILLIAM SAW- 3. WILLIAM = ANN 1.
ELIZABETH, bap JACOB SAW- = ELIZA- ISAAC SAW- JOSEPH
bap. 16 Jan. 1641 26 Nov. 1643; BRIDGE bur. 1 SAW- sist.
of 26 Apr. 1645, m. BRIDGE, of BETH BRIDGE, bur. SAW-
living 1678 wife of Ed- June 1641 BRIDGE, of John 28
Jan. 1672, Mi- London, and d. and at St. Mary BRIDGE,
2. JOHN SAWBRIDGE ward Whit- 4. RICHARD SAW- Daventry, Relfe,
chael Hodson, of of Ollantigh b. of Magd. Lond. bap.
bap. 30 Nov. 1645, ing of Harle- BRIDGE, bap. 21 gent.
bap. esq. a Ullesthorpe, co. Leic. in Wye, co. John
9 Dec. 1680 St. Mary
living 1678. ston, living Nov. 1652 Mar.
1650 clerk 2. MARY, bap. 4 Kent, esq. Fisher,
JOHN SAW- Magd.
3. GEORGE SAWBRIDGE, 1678 5. GEORGE SAW- mar. 6 assist-
Mar. 1654 M. P. for of Lon- BRIDGE,
of Hill Morton, bap. 2. MARY, bap. BRIDGE, bap. 5 Feb. 1676-7
ant in 3. HESTER, bap. Cricklade, don, there
1 Oct. Oct.
17 Mar. 1646, living 10 Oct. 1647 Jan. 1662 bur.
14 the 24 Oct. 1659, ob. 10, and esq.
1685 ob. 7 Mar.
there; m. Dorothy, d. of wife of Sa- 2. JOHN SAWBRIDGE, Feb. 1719
house 4. SARAH, bap.15 buried at bur.
at JAMES SAW- 1719
...... living 1686. muel Bal- of North Kilworth of
lords, May 1657; m. Wye 15 July Hack- BRIDGE,
4. WILLIAM SAWBRIDGE, lard, of Co- co. Leic. bap. 1693, 13
Jan. 1688; Jo- 1748 ney, 13 Aug.,1675.
of Lond.,bap 19 Jan. ventry . there 17 Oct. bur.
10 seph Atkins, of co. MARY, living d.
15 ob. unm.,1678. 1617; m. Cathe- Mar. Swinford,
co. Middx. 1657. ob. 31 Dec.
5.ISAAC SAWBRIDGE , rine, d. of ..... 1708. Leic. ANNE,
bap. 2 1735 =
bap. 12 Dec. 1652. = Apr.
(a) (b) (c) (d)
JOHN SAW- 1. EDWARD SAW- 2.WILLIAM = MARY 1. ANNE, bap. 7 Apr.
1678, 1. JOHN = 2w. DORO- 3. JOHN-ELIAS SAW- 1. ALICE, d.
BRIDGE, BRIDGE, of Daven- SAW- d. of bur.
29 Dec. 1696. SAW- THY, d. BRIDGE, of Canter- coh.
bap. 2 try, esq. bap. 26 BRIDGE, of Henry 2.
DOROTHY, bap. 5 May, 1681 BRIDGE, and h.of bury, esq. ob. unm. bur.
at St. Mary
1649, mar. Jan. 1682-3, ob. London, Shibell,
bur. 8 Jan. 1765; wife of of Ollan- George 4.
JOSEPH SAWBRIDGE, Magd. London
and whose unm. 13 Oct., bur. esq. born of St. rev.
William Collier, vicar tigh, co. Wanley, esq. ob. unm. 2.
ELIZABETH, d. and
descend- 24 Oct. 1775, aet. 27 Oct. Martin’s
of Cold Ashby; ob. s. p. Kent, of Totten- CATHERINE,
m. 24 Feb. coh. ob. 12 Mar.
ants are 92. bap. 1 Nov. in
the 3. FRANCES, bap. 16 Feb. 1683-4 esq. ob. ham, co. 1739,
to Gen. Mont- 1729-30, aet. 23. bur.
still living JOHN SAWBRIDGE, 1686, bur. Fields,
bur. at St. Stephen, Coleman 30 Apr. Midd. esq. gomery,
of Hanover at St. Mary Magd.
there. bap. 9 Aug. 1679, at St, co. Midd.
St. Lond. w. Will. Thomson, bur. at bur. at sq.
Lond. esq. Lond.; m. Brooke
GEO SAW- bur. 23 Sept. 1688. Laurence bur. at 4.
CATHERINE, bap. 27 Jan. Wye, 9 Wye, 4 2. JACOB SAWBRIDGE,
Taylor, Ll.D. =
BRIDGE, JOHN SAWBRIDGE, Jewry, St. Lau-
1687-8, bur. 29 Feb. 1769; May March of
Canterbury, esq. ob.
bap. 29 of Daventry, esq. London, rence m.
H. John Thompson, bur.9 1762, aet. 1732-3 1764, bur. at Crundall,
Mar. 1691, bap. 1 June 1690 1761. Jewry, May
1730;2h.rev Dav. Hughes, 62; 1 w. co. Kent; m Anne d.. ELIZABETH,
b. 17 ?
4 daugh- ob. unm. 7 Oct. London, 5. MARY, bap. 1 June
1690, ob. ...... of Will.Brolnax, of ob. 1801; 2nd w.
ters. bur. Oct 1743. Feb. s. p. and bur. 8
May 1772; w. Gomersham co. Kent, of Sir Will. Young
1735 of Fras. Walford, of Daventry bur.
at Crundall. = bart.
2. HENRY SAWB- = ELIZABETH 1. WILLIAM SAWBRIDGE 1. w. DIANA, = JOHN
SAW- = 2 w. ANNE, 2. REV. WANLEY SAWBRIDGE, A. M. JACOB
RIDGE, of East Had- d. of Tho. ob. inf. dau.
of Sir BRIDGE, of Ol- d. and b. 13, bap. at
Wye 27 Feb. 1733-34 BRIDGE, of
don, esq. born in par- mas Sykes 1. MARY, bap. at St. Lau- Orlando
lantigh, co. Kent, coh. of Sir rector of Thundersley, co.
rish of St. Laurence of London, rence Jewry, Lond. 2 Bridgman,
of esq. born 17 Mar. William and vicar of Stalesfield, co. Kent, esq.
Jewry, London, 15 esq. m. at Sept. 1718, ob.....; w. Castle
Brom- bap. at Wye26Ap Stephen- ob. unm. 1796. 1. ELIZABETH,
Sept. 1719, sheriff St. Stephen’s of Will-Gregge Barn- wich
co. Warw. 1732, lord mayor son, alder- 1. DOROTHY, w. of Steph. Becking- ob.
of co. Northt. 1782, Walbrook, ston of London, esq. bart.
m. at St. of London 1776, man of ham of Bishopsbourne, co.
Kent, esq 2. CATHERINE,
obiit at Exmouth, Lond. 1759 7th son of Roger Barn- James’s
ch M. P. for London London, 2. CATHERINE, born 23 Mar. bap.
at bur. 1721; 2nd
co. Devon, 31 Dec. obiit 2, bur. ston, of Churton, co. Westm.
15 and col.of East mar. June Wye 18 Apr. 1731, author of
Hist. w. of Thomas
1806, aet.87, buried at East Had- Cest. esq. ob. 1781 Nov.
1763, ob. Kent militia, ob. 1766, ob. of England, &c. ob. at Binfield,
co. Heron, of
at East Haddon 10 don 12 July 2. ELIZABETH, wife of s. p.
21, bur. 20 Feb, 1795, ..... Berks, 27 June 1791;
1 h Geo. Chatham, 2nd
Jan. 1807 1793. Timothy Ravenshill, of at
Wye 28 Jan bur. at Wye. McCaulay, of Lond. M. D. m.13June Castle
Spitalfields, London. 1764 1760, ob........; 2 h. Gra- esq.
ham, m. 17 Dec. 1778.
1.WILLIAM SAWBRIDGE, = MARY, d. of Miles Barne, of 3. REV. HENRY SAW- =
ROSANNA, dau.of REV.JOHN –SIKES = FRANCES-JANE, 2. EDWARD SAW-
of East Haddon, esq. Sotterley, co. Suff. esq. M. P. BRIDGE, A.M. born
at of George Cherry, SAWBRIDGE, A. M. d. of Framing- BRIDGE,
born in parish of St. for Dunwich, born at Sotterley Hackney, co.Midd.
rector esq. and widow of born at Hackney, ham Thruston, 1.ELIZABETH,
Laurence Jewry, Lon- in St. Paul’s, Covent Gar- of Welford, co. Berks. m.
Thomas Blach- vicar of Stretton on of Market Wes- at Hackney.
don, sheriff of co. Northt. den, Lond. 21 Nov. 1777 at St. Geo. Queen-sq. ford,
of Northaw, Dunsmore, co. Warw. ton hall, co. 2. JANE, born
1810. Lond. Jan. 1791. co. Herts, esq. and of East Haddon Suff. at
HENRY-BARNE SAWBRIDGE, esq. born at Sotterley, 1. FREDERICK 2.
EDWARD-HENRY FRANCES ELIZABETH, ob. inf. MARY ROSANNA
co. Suff SAWBRIDGE SAWBRIDGE JANE DULCIBELLA
MUCEGROS or BRA MANOR. Sir Richard Mucegros, who married the second coheiress of
Dyve, with the consent of his son sir Robert Mucegros, disposed of his purparty in
East Haddon to Simon Montford earl of Leicester ; upon whose attainder king Henry
3rd bestowed it on.
Sir Thomas Bray, his seneschal, the ancester of Edmund lord Bray, who, in 26 Hen
8 (1534), levied a fine of a manor and tenements in East Haddon to Sir John Clerk.
BRAY OF EAST HADDON.
From Visitations and other authorities.
Arms. Quarterly, 1 and 4, vairy Argent and Azure, three bends Gules. 2 and 3, Argent,
a chevron between three eagle’s legs erased a la cuisse
Sable, armed Gules. Crest. A lion passant gardant Or, winged vairy Argent and
JAMES BRAY, son of Sir Robert Bray of co. Northt = ............
ANSELM BRAY = 2. EDMUND BRAY = ............
WILLIAM BRAY = ....... JOHN BRAY
1 w. ....... = Sir THOMAS BRAY, of East Haddon, &c sheriff of Bucks and Bedf.1273
= 2 w. ALICE, d. of ..... JOHN BRAY JOSCELYN BRAY
1274, M. P. for co. Bedf.1290, living 1296 Braxley . RICHARD BRAY
JOHN BRAY = .... WILLIAM BRAY = ..... ALICE JOAN
THOMAS BRAY EDMUND BRAY, of Eaton, co. Bedf. = ........
1 w. MARGARET, d. of William Sandes, of = Sir RICHARD BRAY, bur. at = 2 w. JOAN,
d. of.......Troughton, bur. at Guildford, EDMUND BRAY
Furness, co. Lanc. Worcester co. Surrey
Sir JOHN BRAY Sir REGINALD BRAY, chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, JOHN
BRAY,bur. LUCY; 1 h. Roger ALICE, wife of Rev Hyde
only son K. G. &c grantee of Stean and Hinton , purchaser of Cottes- at
Chelsea, co. Walwyn ; 2 h. JOAN, wife of .......
brook, born at Worcester, ob. s. p. 5 Aug. 1503, bur. at Wind- Middx. Rich.
Andrews. Isaacs, of Washingby,
sor ; m. Catherine,d. of Nicholas Hussey, esq. co. Hunts.
MARGARET, Sir EDMUND BRAY = JOAN, d. and h. 1 w. ELIZA- = Sir EDWARD
= 2 w. BEA- = 3w. JANE REGINALD = ANNE, ELIZA-
d. and h.; of age10Apr. 1 Hen. of Sir Richard BETH,d. and
BRAY, of TRICE, d. of d. of Sir BRAY, of dau.
of BETH ;
wife of 8 (1510), BARON Halleighwell, by coh. of Henry
Shire co. Surrey Ralph Shir- Matthew Barring- Rich. wife
William BRAY of Eaton Anne, d. and h. Lovell,of
Hart- 2nd son, M. P. ley, of West- Brown, ton, co. Morning-
Baron Bray, co. Bedf. of Sir John Nor- ley, co.
Suss. for Surrey minston, of Betch- Glouc. ton,
Sandes, of sum. to parl. 21, bury, of Stoke divorced,
and obiit. 1 Dec. co. Hants, worth, and of Bar- Norris.
the Vine, 25, 28 Hen. 8, D’Abernon, co. mar.
2nd ly, 1553, bur. at widow of co. Surr. Stean, rington,
K. G. sold East Haddon, Surr. ob. 8 Nov. Sir Antony
Cranley, co. ...Elder- esq. co. Glouc.
ob. 15 Oct. 1539, 1550, bur.atEat- Windsor. Surrey.
buried at Chelsea, on ; m. 2nd ly, Sir (vide PRESTON
co. Middx. Uriah Brereton, CAPES) BRAY,
OF SHIRE, vide STEAN,
of co. Cest. co. Surrey
JOHN, 2nd baron FRANCES , = THOMAS ANNE, sist. and coh.; ELIZABETH, sist. and coh.; FRIDESWIDE,
or GRISWOLD, sist. ELLEN, ob. 1516,
Bray, ob. s. p. 18 sist. and LYFIELD, wife of George baron 1 h. Sir Ralph
Verney, of and coh. ; w. of Sir Percival Hart- bur. at Stoke,
Nov. 1557, bur. coh. ob. of Stoke Cobham, obiit. 1553. Penley, co. Herts, obiit. MARY,
sist. and coh. ; wife of co. Surrey.
at Chelsea, co. 27 May D’Aber- 1592. 25 Apr. 1546 ; 2 h. Sir Sir Robert Peckham. JANE,
ob. 15 Mar.
Middx.; m. Anne 1592, aet. non, co. Richard Catesby, of Led- DOROTHY,sist. and
coh. ; obit. 1539-40, bur.
d. of Francis earl 69. Surrey, BROOK BARON COB- gers Ashby, obiit. 4 Mar. 1605
; 1 h. Edmund baron Chan- at Eaton, co.
of Shrewsbury. Esq. HAM, ext. 1553-4. dos ; 2 h.William baron Knollys Bedf.
JANE, d. and h. ; wife of Thomas Vincent, esq. (vide BARNACK)
By inquisition after the death of William Saunders, esq. of WELFORD, in 33 Hen.8
(1541), he was found to died seised of this manor, held of the king as of his barony
of East Haddon, parcel of the duchy of Lancaster; by purchase, probably from one
of his descendants, it was transferred to
Robert Hickes, esq. who kept his court for this manor in 1617, and of whom Robert
lord Spences held lands as of his manor of east Haddon, late Saunder’s manor, at
his death in1627.
The next possessor who occurs is Andrew Lant, esq, of THORP UNDERWOOD, who had also
the advowson of the vicarage, and on whose decease in 1695, this manor and advowson
descended with his other estates in undivided shares to his three daughters and coheiresses,
Elizabeth, wife of Frances Lane, esq. Sarah, wife of sir John Humble, bart. and Catherine,
wife of William Ward, esq. of LITTLE HOUGHTON. The pedigree of Lant and subsequent
partition of the property will be detailed under THORP UNDERWOOD; it will be sufficient
therefore, for the present purpose to state that the manor and mansion-house of
East Haddon, with certain lands and the third turn of presentation to the vicarage,
were allotted to William Ward esq. whose son Thomas ward esq. sold them in 1737 to
John Wodhull, esq. of THENFORD, of whom they were purchased in 1751 by Clarke Adams
esq. lieutenant-colonel of the Northamptonshire militia, whose son, Simon Adams esq.
sometime deputy recorder of Northampton conveyed them in 1780 to Henry Sawbridge,
esq. father of the present proprietor.
Mrs Lane’s share vested under her will in her sister Humble, who thus became entitled
to two third shares of the lands and of the advowson, was succeeded by her only son
Sir William Humble, bart. by whom they were devises in fee to his wife Elizabeth,
daughter of Gilbert 2nd lord Barnard, from whom one share has passed to the daughters
and coheiresses of the late Sir William Langham, bart. of COTTESBROOK , by his wife
Henrietta-Elizabeth-Frederica, daughter and heiress of the hon. Charles Vane, brother
and devisee of lady Humble; and the other share being deeply mortgaged, a foreclosure
took place, and a conveyance in fee was made in 1756 by the mortgagee to James-Haughton
Langston, esq. of Sarsden in Oxfordshire, who in 1774 sold his estates here to Christopher
Smyth, esq. of Northampton.
MUCEGROS or RAGON MANOR Sir Simon Mucegros, husband of the youngest coheiress of
Dyve, left an only son, Sir John Mucegros who dying s.p. was succeeded in his manor
of “East Haddon” and estates in Nottinghamshire Sussex and Berkshire, by his two
sisters, Alice and Agatha, who were afterwards married to Ralph Dyve and Walter Ratinden.
Alice survived her husband, but leaving no issue, her purparty passed to her nephew
and heir John Ratinden, who in 7 Edw. 3 (1333), levied a fine in fee tail to the
third part of the (original) manor of East Haddon, which he appears to have alienated
soon after; for in 31 Edw. 3 (1357), John Ragon levied a fine of it in
fee simple. From him this manor or estate passed, conformably with the subjoined
pedigree, to Henry Dyve, esq. who enjoyed it in right of his wife, and from whom
it lineally descended to Sir Lewis Dyve, whose estate here was sold in 1652 by the
parliamentary commissioners of sequestration to John Willies and John Moulton, yeoman.
About the time of the restoration Sir Lewis again came into possession, either
by restitution or re-purchase, and in 1661 jointly with Frances Dyve, esq. his son
and heir, conveyed it to Sir Justinian Isham, bart. of LAMPORT, whose great grandson
Sir Justinian Isham, bart. alienated it in 1789 to Henry Sawbridge, esq. father of
the present proprietor.
RAGON, WYLDE, AND DYVE, OF EAST HADDON.
From Visitations and other authorities.
Arms. RAGON. Argent, a chevron Sable, fretty Or, between three stag’s heads couped
Gules. WYLDE. Argent, a chevron Sable, on a chief of the second three mullets
of the field. DYVE. vide above.
Sir JOHN RAGON, of East Haddon, ob. 51 Edw. 3 (1377), Esc. 51 Edw. 3 n 24. = .....
Sir REGINALD RAGON, of East Haddon, aet. 22, Esc. 51 Edw. 3, = ELIZABETH, sister
and h. of Thomas Widville, of Grafton Regis, nephew of Richard
Living 5 Hen. 5 (1417). Earl Rivers, K. G. living 20 Hen. 6 (1441-2).
THOMAS RAGON, of East Haddon, esq. 20 Hen. 6 (1411-2) ob. s. p. JOHN RAGON, of
East Haddon, esq. brother and heir, = ..........
AGNES, d. and h. with whom her husband had East Haddon, = THOMAS WYLDE, of Bromham,
co. Bedf., esq. = 2 w. ANHARET, d. h. of Howel ap Jevan
1 h. HENRY DYVE, of Brampton, &c. esq. and of Bromham = ELIZABETH, d. and coh.
of her father, and sole heiress of = 2 h. WILLIAM SALISBURY,
Co. Bedf. and of East Haddon in right of his wife. her mother, ob.
27 Sept. 1497, Esc. 15 Hen. 7. p. 2. n. 174. of Horton, esq.
See BRAMPTON see HORTON
MANOR HOUSES. Each manor had probably its own mansion. The St. Andrew manor-house
unquestionably stood in the field still called St. Andrews’ close. The site of the
Dyves Mansion is not known. The manor house of the Brays was the residence of
the family of Adams, but part of the offices only are now standing. The present
mansion, erected by the late Mr. Sawbridge, is situated a short distance to the north,
and is a commodious edifice of white free-stone. In the breakfast parlour are twelve
humorous sketches by Hogarth illustrative of Hudibras.
THE VILLAGE. is between seven and eight miles from Northampton, north of the turnpike
road to Coventry through Dunchurch. In the time of Bridges it consisted of “seventy
one houses and three for the use of the poor”; by the census of 1801 it contained
115 houses and 411 inhabitants; and by that of 1811, 124 houses and 552 inhabitants.
The annual quota of land-tax for this parish is £115 2 3d at 4s. in £. The estimated
value of real property is assessed to the property tax of 10 per cent. for the year
ending April 1815, amounted to £4090. The poor’s rates for the year ending Easter
1820, raised £756.7s. in the £. “The wake is kept on the Sunday after Michaelmas”.
ADVOWSON. The inspeximus charter of King Edward 2nd to the abbot and convent of
Sulby, recites and confirms, among other donations, the church of East Haddon with
its pertinencies, of the gift of William de Dyve, son of Hugh de Dyve. On the dissolution,
the rectory and advowson of the vicarage fell to the crown, and in 3 Eliz. (1516
), were granted, with those of Cold Ashby, in exchange for other estates, to sir
Thomas Chaloner and his heirs. Sir Christopher Hatton, the lord Chancellor, died
possessed of them in 1591, and the impropriate rectory and advowson were probably
severed by his representatives. In 1698 sir John Chester, bart. of Chichely in
Buckinghamshire, settled the impropriation on his next brother, Henry Chester, esq.
whose son and heir, the rev. sir. Anthony Chester, bart. vicar of the parish, devised
it by will in 1766 to his wife dame Elizabeth Chester in fee, who sold it in 1796
to Christopher Smyth, of Northampton, esq.
The advowson of the vicarage was in possession of Andrew Lant, esq. at his death
in 1695; and on the partition of his property one turn was assigned to each other
share. The subsequent descent of these shares has already been given, and the respective
proprietors are entitled to present in rotation.
The RECTORY was valued in the taxations of 1254 (38 Hen 3) and 1291 (20 Edw, at 15
Marks (£10) per ann. Deducting a pension of one mark to the abbot of Sulby; and in
the ecclesiastical survey of 1535 (26 Hen. 8), it was rated among the spirituality
of the abbey at £13.6s.8d per ann. deduction a pension of 20s. and 7s 6 1/2d in
sydonals and procurations to the bishop of Lincoln. The commissioners of inclosures
allotted 249 a. 2r. 23p. in lieu of the great tithes of the open field, and of certain
old inclosures and homesteads.
THE VICARAGE. is in the deanry of West Haddon. The abbot and convent of Sulby obtained
an appropriation of this church in 1351, and about the same time the vicarage was
ordained. At the ecclesiastical survey of 1535 (26 Hen. 8) it was valued at £15.
3s. per ann. deducting 3s for synodals to the archdeacon of Northampton. The parliamentary
commissioners in 1635 certified it to be a vicarage worth £51. per ann. in the patronage
of Henry Chester, Esq. and that James Dutton the incumbent was resident. It is
a discharged living, being returned under the act of 5 Ann. (1707) to be only of
the clear yearly value of £48. 6s 4d and in the return of livings under £150. per
ann. in 1809, the bishop of Peterborough certified it to be worth £140. per ann.
arising from glebe and fixed money payment. The vicarage now consists of 94 a.
38p. Allotted by the commissioners of enclosure in lieu of glebe and of all vicarial
tithes whatsoever, except of homesteads and old inclosures belonging to persons not
having lands or common in the open field, and which continue subject to the same
tithes or modusses as before the act. The vicarage-house is north-west of the church.
RECTORS. Mast. Hugh de Stanford, subdeacon, presented by the abbot and convent of
Sulby 1237. He was rector of Paxton 1238.
William de Houton, subdeacon 1240. Rector of Oxendon 1230.
Hugh de Wynford, chaplain, 29 May 1294. Lawrence de Belegrave, acolyte, 13 Nov. 1301.
Peter de Belegrave, deacon, 6 Dec. 1342. Thomas, son of Robert Knapetoft, 4 June
1350. Thomas de Pery.
VICARS. William Hardy, priest, presented to the vicarage of East Haddon 1 Mar. 1369-70,
and exchanged for the rectory of Newton Blossomville in Buckinghamshire with John
Waryn of Buckby, 35 Oct. 1370. John Gurry, priest, 3 Sept 1390; exchanged for
the rectory of Finedon with John Etton, priest, 22 Apl. 1395. John Botheby.
He was vicar of St. Sepulchres in Northampton 1380 which he exchanged for the vicarage
of Brayfield 1402, and was presented the same year to the rectory of St. Bartholomew’s
John Stele, of Boresworth, chaplain 16 Dec. 1402. Sir Hugh Humberston, 27 Jan. 1405-6.
Thomas Leche, priest 19 Apl. 1413 John Cok, priest, 22 June 1441 Thomas
Leche, priest, probably the former vicar re-presented, 15 Nov. 1444. Sir
John Chapell. Sir William Garadde, priest 21 Mar.
1456-7; rector of Little Billing 1471. Sir Robert Lewyn, priest, 27 Apl.
1477; vicar of Sibbertoft. 1456. Sir Thomas Ormeston, priest, 4 Jan 1502-3,
probably the Thomas Ernstone, vicar, who, by will, 1 July 1511, desired his body
to be buried here. Mast. Thomas Barker, 5 July 1511. Sir Robert Goodeall,
abbot of Sulby, on the presentation of Nicholas Osborn by grant from the abbot and
convent, 11 Apl. Sir John Fox, priest, 6 Mar 1524-5. On his decease, Robert
Mowyer, LL.B. was presented by Phillip Egerton, by grant p.h.v. from Ralph late abbot
of the dissolved abbey of Sulby, and instituted 2 Apl. 1545. Christopher
Segeswyk, inst 27 Sept. 1553, on the presentation of the queen vice the last incumbent
deceased. He was buried here 13 Nov.1595, and Henry Bourne was
presented by sir William Hatton, and inst. 10 Feb. 1595-6. He had twelve sons,
nearly all of whom were baptised here, excepting Immanuel the eldest, author of several
sermons and polemical pamphlets, who was born before his father obtained this vicarage,
but may still be considered a native of Northamptonshire on the authority of Anthony
A’Wood. He was buried here 15 Apl. 1649; and was, I presume succeeded by William
Dutton, of Dalton, who occurs in 1655 and 1680. On his cession, James Blockley,
resigned Roewll and was inst. 31 May 1691, on the presentation of Andrew Lant, esq.
He was buried here 19 December 1701, and Edward Whitmell, of St. John Bap. Coll.
Oxf. A.M. was presented by Elizabeth Lane, widow, and inst. 25 May. 1702. He was
buried here 12 June 1743, when
George Clarke was presented by John Woodhull esq. and inst. 26 Sept 1743. On his
Anthony Chester, of Emanuel coll. Cambs. Was inst. 28 Nov. 1748 on the presentation
of Dame Elizabeth Humble. He married Miss Elizabeth Birt in 1751, and, on the failure
of the elder line of the Chesters, he succeeded to the baronetcy; but Chichely and
the other family estates passed, under the will of sir C.S.Chester, bart. to Charles
Bagot,esq. brother to the first lord Bagot. He died 17 May, and was buried here
23 May 1769, and having no issue the title became extinct. His successor in this
Theophilus Goodfellow, of Trinty coll. Cam. A.M. rector of Geat Houghton, was inst.
In Nov. 1759, and continued to hold both benefices till his death in 1782, when William
Lucas Holden, of Clare hall, Camb. A.M. vicar of Whilton, was presented by Henry
Sawbridge, esq. 18 Apl.1782 He afterwards took the name of Rose, and dying in Jan.
1814 John Sikes Sawbridge, of Christ coll. Oxf. A.M. was inst. 13 July 1814, on
the presentation of his brother, William Sawbridge, Esq. He is also vicar of Stretton
on Dunsmoor in Warwickshire.
THE REGISTERS commence in 1552; but to 1596 is copied from the old register, and
signed by Henry Bourne, vicar.
THE CHURCH, dedicated to the virgin Mary, is situated near the centre of the village,
And consists of an embattled tower, containing five bells, nave, south aisle and
porch with a room over it, and chancel. The windows in the south aisle are square-headed;
those of the chancel are of earlier period, pointed, with flowing tracery. The
interior is partially new pewed, and at the west end is a modern gallery. The tower
is 13 ft 10 in long, by 12 ft wide; the nave and the aisle are 58 ft 1 in. Long,
the nave 22ft wide; and the chancel is 40 ft. long by 18 ft. 6 in. wide. The font,
of which an etching is given, has a plain circular shaft, supporting a basin of the
same shape, with the figure of a man, rudely sculptured, between two swans, whose
heads are protruded under his arms. The nave is separated from the aisle by four
large pointed arches on low octagonal pillars with capitals of plain mouldings. At
the east end on the aisle is a plain piscine. The chancel is divided from the nave
by a wide open arch. At the east end of the south wall are three seats under trefoiled
arches, the outer mouldings of which form each spandrel into a reversed trefoil;
further eastward is a projecting trefoil-headed piscine, under an ogee arch deeply
recessed with mouldings; and the whole are connected by e horizontal dripstone with
NAVE. Slabs for
1. Elizabeth, w. of Thomas Philips. 1705.
2. John s. of Mr, John Philips and Elizabeth, his wife. 1712.
3. (Nearly obliterated) Jacobus Blockley hujus Ecclesiae
Supra viginti annos pastor, qui obit 7mo die Diecembris 1701.
4. Thomas Philips 15 June 1715 aet. 86.
CHANCEL. On the north wall are two marble tablets.
I. Arms : per pale Ar. And S. a chevron engrailed between three rams’ heads erased
attired O. All countercharged within a border engrailed G bezanty, Chester. Crest
: on a wreath, a ram’s head erased Ar. Attired O.
To the Memory of
HENRY CHESTER Esq.
(Son of ANTHONY CHESTER
in the County of Bucks, Bart)
and THEODOSIA his wife.
He departed this Life
May the 6th 1726 Aged 59
She departed this Life
July the 1st 1706.
In the same Vault
Lies interred the Revd
Sir ANTHONY CHESTER, Bart.
(son of the above named
HENRY CHESTER, Esq,)
May the 17th 1769.
Also LADY CHESTER
(Relict of the above)
died June 13, 1808 Aged 88.
She died lamented and
She lived revered.
II. Arms : V. On a cross O. An entail S. Adams.
Here lies the Body of CLARKE ADAMS Esqr
late of this Parish Deputy Lieunt of the COUNTY
and Lieunt Colonel of the NORTHAMPTONSHIRE Militia
and one of his Majesty’s Justices of the Peace
He died June the 26th, 1776. Aged 57.
A worthy member of Society &
A Friend to all Mankind.
On a slab, nearly obliterated :
5. Here lieth the body of that eminently charitable and devout Christian Mrs. Theodosia
Chester, the virtuous and loving wife of Henry Chester of this parish Esquire, the
only child of Thomas Tower of Haddenham in the isle of Ely Esq. and Elizabeth his
wife : on July 1st 1706 her soul was carried to Abraham’s bosom to receive the reward
of her early sincere and lasting piety.-She gave much Alms to the poor, and prayed
to God always.
6. Elisha Ireton, Sept. 1705 aet. 7.
7. Alice Ireton, 29 Sept. 1710, aet 70.
8. Elisha Ireton, Oct. 1710. aet. 70.
THE INDEPENDENTS have a small chapel here, erected in 1812, for a Sunday evening
lecture. It is connected with the congregation, and supplied by the ministers at
BENEFACTIONS (vide p.80) The poor’s land consists of 3 a. 27 p. allotted by the commissioners
of inclosure in lieu of land in the open field, and now lets for nearly £10. per
ann. The school-room in the house which lord St. John had for many years allowed
the parish to use for that purpose, being found insufficient, a subscription was
entered into in 1790, and a new school-room built for the accommodation of the parish.
NOTE: Abbreviations and translations used in the charts
aet. = aged
d., dau. = daughter
co. = county
coh. = coheir
Edw., Hen.,Eliz., etc = see note below on dates
Esc. = Escheat (a dated (in italics) legal document about ownership of the property)
h. = husband, or heir (depending on context)
jure ux. = by right of his wife
ob ,obiit = died
ob. inf. = died in infancy
ob. s. p. = died without issue/offspring
unm. = unmarried
vide = see
w. = wife, or widow (depending on context)
Note on dates: dates are expressed as nth year in the reign of the monarch
(eg. 12 Hen. 3 is the twelfth year of Henry 3rd’s reign, ie 1227-8)