Transcript of pp504-506 from “The History and Antiquities of Northamptonshire Vol
1: Bridges pub. 1791
(Dates shown in the original in relation to the reign of the monarch have been translated
into numerical dates, and placed in square brackets [ ] )EAST-HADDON
EAST-HADDON, so called to distinguish it from West-Haddon a neighbouring village,
in domesday book is named Eddone and Hadone, and is bounded on the east by Holdenby,
on the north by Ravensthorp, by Long Buckby on the west, and on the south by Brington.
The greatest extent of the parish, from Althorp-grounds to Long-Buckby heath, is
judged to be two miles. In East-Haddon are twenty-one houses, and three for the
use of the poor. Part of the Lordship is old inclosure, the rest is open field.
In Eddone at the time of the general survey, the Earl of Morton held two hides and
an half, of which one hide was in demesne. The arable land was five carucates;
three carucates were in demesne, and nine servants, seven villanes with a priest
and seven cottagers had two carucates. There was a mill annually rented at x. s,
eight acres of meadow, and ten acres of small wood. This estate had been rated
at xl. s but was then valued at iv l.
In Hadone one Ralph held half an hide of the earl of Morton. The arable land was
one carucate, in the hands of two villanes and four cottagers; it had been rated
at xii d. but was then valued at v s.
In the reign of Henry II [1154-1169], the Lordship of East-Haddon was certified to
contain four hides, which were held of the fee of Leicester. It was afterwards
divided amongst three possessors, who each had a distinct Manor. By inquisition
taken in the fiftieth year of Hen. III,  John de Muscegros was found to die
seised of a Manor in East-Haddon, which he held of the honor of Leicester by the
service of one Knight’s fee. Leaving no issue, his sisters Alice de Muscegros,
and Agatha the wife of Walter de Ratendon became his heirs, and the year following
had livery of this estate.
In the seventh year of Edw. I  died Ralph de St. Andrew possessed of five virgates
and an half of arable land, and three acres with meadow held in demesne, with certain
rents arising from copyhold and free-tenants in East-Haddon, which he held in capite
of Roger, the heir of Maud de St. Andrew, then under age and in ward to the King.
His successor was James de St. Andrew his elder brother. In the twenty fourth
year of this reign  Ralph Dive, Roger de St. Andrew, and Thomas Bray were
certified to hold the township of East-Haddon to the Earl of Leicester, who held
it of the crown, but the service is not mentioned. By inquisition taken of the
Knight’s fees, which had belonged to Edmund earl of Derby, who on the forfeiture
of Simon Montfort obtained the inheritance of the Earldom of Leicester, Roger de
St. Andrew, Alice de Mucegros, and Thomas Bray were found to have held of the said
Earl one Knight’s fee each East-Haddon, Holdenby, and other places. In the fourth
year of Edw. II.  Roger de St. Andrew obtained a grant of free warren within
his hands at Haddon; and in the ninth of the same reign,  John de Ratendon
was certified to be Lord of this town.
The Manor in the family of St. Andrew by a fine levied in the thirty third year of
Edw. I  was settled upon Richard de St. Andrew, Alice his wife, and their heirs;
which Richard dying in the third of Edw. III  left it to John his brother,
a minor sixteen years old. In the seventh year of this reign  a fine was
levied in fee tail by John Ratindon of a third part of the Manor of East-Haddon.
Upon collecting the aid for making the king’s son a Knight, in the twentieth year
of the same reign , Alice de St. Andrew, who had this estate for her life-time,
accounted for one Knight’s fee in East-Haddon, Holdenby, and Ravensthorp, of the
honor of Leicester.
In the thirty first year of Edw. III , John Ragon levied a fine of a third
part of East-Haddon Manor in fee simple to himself. This Manor in the fifth Hen.
V.  was in the hands of Reginald Ragon, from whom it came to Thomas Ragon Esq.
his son; who in the twentieth of Henry VI.  gave up to Thomas Aydrop and others,
the reversion of the Manor called Ragones-Manor in East-Haddon, and of divers messuages
and lands in other places, which were held by his mother Elizabeth for the term of
From Alice de St. Andrew the Manor in possession of that family came in course of
succession to her descendant John Saint Andrew who was seized of it in the third
of Henry VIII . Upon his decease in the thirteenth year of Queen Elizabeth
 it devolved to George his son, who in the twenty sixth of the same reign 
was succeeded by William St. Andrew his son and heir, a minor six years of age. Of
the estate which in the reign of Edw. I was in the hands of Thomas Bray, we find
no further mention till the time of Henry VIII, in the twenty sixth year of whose
reign  a fine was levied between Sir John Clark Kt. and other descendants and
Edmund Lord Bray deforciant of a Manor and tenements in East-Haddon.
In the thirty third year of Henry VIII.  died William Saunders of Welford Esq.
seized of a Manor, thirteen messuages, three cottages, one windmill, three hundred
and forty acres of arable land, one hundred forty acres of meadow, and one hundred
twenty acres of pasture in East-Haddon. By the inquisition taken upon his death,
the premises were certified to be held of the King as of his barony of East-Haddon,
parcel of the duchy of Lancaster, by fealty and suit of his court. His successor
was Clement his son. From the family it passed into the hands of Robert Rich Esq;
of whom Robert Lord Spencer in the fourth year of Charles I.  held divers lands
and tenements as of his manor of East-Haddon late Saunder’s Manor by an unknown service.
The Lordship is at present divided between Lord St. John of Bletsoe, who we apprehend
succeeded the family of St. Andrew, Sir Justinian Isham of Lamport, Sir John Humble
of Thorpe Underwood, and William Ward of Houghton Esquire. By agreement of the
several Lords a court is sometimes, but very rarely held here. Several of the inhabitants
owe suit and service to the duchy court of Lancaster, which tho’ usually called here
is now kept at West-Haddon.
The church, dedicated to the virgin Mary, consists of a body, south aisle, and chancel
leaded with a large south porch and room over it tiled. At the west end is a low
tower, in which are five bells, all cast in 1621, and a place for holy water; and
a holy water bason at the upper end of the south aisle. In the chancel windows
are some imperfect words and coats of arms. The length of the church and chancel
is ninety six foot and eleven inches; the breadth of the church thirty two foot six
inches, and the chancel eighteen foot six inches. The register bears date in 1552.
This church was given to Sulby Abbey by William the son of Hugh de Dyve, and confirmed
to it with other possessions by King Edw. II. In the twenty fifth of Edw III 
the rectory was appropriated to the convent, and about the same time the vicarage
ordained. In 1254, 38 Hen III. the rectory was rated at fifteen marks, deducting
a pension of one mark to the convent of Sulby. In1535, 26 Hen. VIII the profits
of the rectory were valued at xiii l. vi s viii d. out of which was deducted vii
s. vi d. ob. in procurations and synodals, besides a pension of xx s. to the bishop
of Lincoln. The vicarage was rated at xv l. iii s. there being deducted out of
it iii s. in procurations and synodals. In the third year of Queen Elizabeth the
rectory and advowson of the vicarage were granted to Sir Thomas Chaloner, in exchange
for other lands. In the twenty third of this reign a fine was levied of the rectory
between Francis Flower and Edward Dodge demandants, and Sir Christopher Hatton Kt.
and Richard Knowles Esq; deforciants. The vicarage, amounting in its clear yearly
value to no more than xlviii l. vi s. iv d. hath been discharged by the goverours
of Queen Anne’s bounty, from the payment of first-fruits and tenths. The impropriation
is now in the hands of Henry Chester Esq; and the presentation to the vicarage in
Mr. Ward. It is in the deanery of Haddon.
Patroni Incumb. & temp. Institut.
Abb. & Conv.de Mag. Hug. De Stan-
Suleby. ford. Subd. 1237.
Will. de Houton,
Hug. de Wyneford,
Cap.4 Cal.Jun. 1294
Laurent de Belegrave,
Acol. Id. Nov. 1301.
Petr. de Belegrave, Diac. 8 Id. Dec. 1342.
Tho. fil. Rob. Knap- toft, 2Non. Jun.1350
Tho. de Pery.
Will. Hardy, Pbr. ad
Vicar. Ecc. de Est-
Joh. Gurry, Pbr. 3
Joh. Etton, Pbr. 22
Joh. Stele de Bores-
worth, Cap. 16 Dec.
Dom. Hug. Humber-
ston, 27 Jan. 1405.
Tho. Leche, Pbr. 19.
Joh. Cok, Pbr. 22
Tho. Leche, Pbr. 15
Dom. Joh. Chapell
Pbr. 21 Mart.
Dom. Rob Lewyn,
Pbr. 27 Apr. 1477.
Pbr. 4 Jan. 1502.
Mag. Tho. Barkar,
5 Jul. 1511.
Nic. Osborn, rat. Dom. Rob. Goodeall
advoc. sib. Fact. per Abb. De Sulby, 11
Abb. & Conv. Mon. Apr. 1517.
Dom. John Fox, Pbr.
6 Mart. 1524.
Ph. Edgerton, &c. Rob. Mowyer, LL.B.
rat. concess. advoc. 2 Apr 1546.
pro hac vice per
Rad. Abb. dissol.
Mon. de Sulby.
Regina. Christ. Segeswyk, 27
Sept. 1553. sepult.
13 Nov. 1595.
Will. Hutton, Mil. Hen. Bourne, Cl.comp
pro Primit. 18 Mar.
1595. sep.15 Apr.
Jacob. Dutton, Cl.
comp. pro. Primit. 18
Jac. Blockley, occur.
Vicar. anno. 1682. se-
pult. 19 Dec. 1701.
In the chancel on common free-stones are three inscriptions, for Elisha Ireton, Alice
Ireton and Elisha Ireton; and near to them is the following:
Here lieth the body of that incomparably charitable and devout Christian Mrs.
Theodosia Chester, the virtuous and loving wife of Henry Chester of this parish Esquire,
the only child of Thomas Tower of Haddenham in the Isle of Ely Esq; and Elizabeth
his wife: on July 1st 1706, her soul was carried to Abraham’s bosom, to receive the
reward of her early sincere and lasting piety – She gave much Alms to the poor, and
prayed to God always.
Near the pulpit in the middle aisle:
H. &. E.
Jacobus Blockley huius Ecclesiae, supra viginti annos pastor, qui obit 17th, die
In the same aisle are three inscriptions for Thomas Philipps, Elizabeth his wife,
and John Philipps their son.
In the register is a memorial of the vicar’s tithes, and other parochial customs
settled in 1610 by Henry Bourne vicar, and parishioners of East-Haddon.
The Wake is kept on the Sunday after Michaelmas.