In the early 1800’s, the Minister of the Congregational Church at Long Buckby was
Mr Griffiths, who occupied that position for 39 years. Besides substantial enlargements
to the church building at Long Buckby, Mr Griffiths was also instrumental in the
building of Chapels at East Haddon and at Whilton.
Mr. Griffiths used to "lecture" once a month in a private house in East Haddon. This
form of “dissenters” worship had been going on for about 100 years already, and when
the situation developed that so many people desired to hear Mr Griffiths, the accommodation
was soon insufficient and in1811 the Chapel was built to accommodate the services.
This did not please the squire of that time, who gave notice to the farmers on his
estate that if they continued to deal with or employ shopkeepers who attended dissenting
services, they would be removed from their farms. Although legal help was sought,
nothing effective could he done and the tradespeople concerned lost the custom of
nearly all the farmers in the parish. In spite of these difficulties, the Chapel
was completed in 1811.
Regular services were held in the Chapel for over 150 years, and a Sunday school
flourished as well. The building was enlarged in 1870 to provide a kitchen downstairs,
and a Sunday School room above. Funding for this building work came from a gift by
Earl Spencer, and village fundraising. The annual Harvest Supper, prepared in the
new kitchen, was a very well supported event!
In 1969 the Chapel closed for worship, and was bought by the artist David Tindle,
who lived and worked there for 10 years, and was elected to The Royal Academy in
1979. He painted some scenes around East Haddon, including a view of the Chapel garden
- click here to see the picture.
The Chapel changed hands again in 1979, underwent a number of changes, and was renamed
“The Old Chapel”. It is now a private family home, as well as an art studio and a
sign writing workshop. The house is not open to the public.
For more information on the sign writing services visit
In 1911, a booklet was published to mark the centenary of the Chapel.
In 2011, to mark the bi-centenary of the building, the booklet was reproduced, with
the addition of a foreword giving a “potted” history.